"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information upon it."
"Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
Philo of Alexandria
"For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength."
I Corinthians 1:25
- Making Ends Meet: What Library Makerspaces Need to Succeed (Presentation as part of NISO Webinar: "Make it at the Library: How Does Library Technology Support Makerspaces?" in December 2016 with George Meadows and Sara Gonzalez)
- Have It Your Way: Designing a Library Makerspace to Support Creativity and Innovation (Presentation with Jennifer Hicks at ALAO 2016)
- STEAMpunks: How Makerspaces Bring Science to Life (Panel session with Sharona Ginsberg, John Rennie, and Emily Thompson at the 2015 Charleston Conference)
- Making It Real: Why a Makerspace Might Make Sense for Your Library (Presentation at OLSSI 2015)
- Embedded Librarianship: Communicating Our Crucial Value (Presentation with Beth Tumbleson at INOV8! Elevating Engagement for Students Online, ALAO DLIG 2015)
- Making Sense: Can Makerspaces Work in Academic Libraries? (Presentation at ACRL 2015; full paper)
- Academic Librarians' Educational Role Revisited: Three Defining Studies (Panel session with Jessica Long and Beth Tumbleson at ACRL 2015)
- Sustaining and Enhancing Embedded Library Instruction in the Learning Management System (Panel session with Beth Tumbleson, Cass Kvenild, and Kaijsa Calkins at ACRL 2015)
- Making Your Case: Implementing a Library Makerspace on Campus (Roundtable at ALAO 2014)
- What Motivates Makers?: The Inspirations of Library Makerspace Creators (The 2014 Conference for Entrepreneurial Librarians)
- Thinking Like a First Year Student: Academic Librarians' Educational Role (ACRL Instruction Section Discussion Forum with Jessica Long and Beth Tumbleson at ALA Annual Conference 2014)
- iPad, YouPad: Circulating iPad Collections in Academic Libraries (ACRL Preconference workshop with Jessica Long and Beth Tumbleson at ALA Annual Conference 2014)
- Librarians in the Cloud: eLearning Meets Information Literacy (Panel session with Cass Kvenild, Kaijsa Calkins, and Beth Tumbleson at DLS 2014)
- Becoming Part of the LMS Sandwich: The Embedded Librarian in the Learning Management System (Presentation with Beth Tumbleson and Jessica Long at IOLUG 2013)
- Libraries Remain Relevant: Circulating iPads (Presentation with Chris Mull and Beth Tumbleson at ALAO 2013)
- The New Face of Textbooks: Guiding Faculty Toward Alternatives (Poster session with Carrie Girton at ALAO 2013)
- Don't Space Out!: Re-envisioning and Revitalizing Library Space (Poster session with Jessica Long and Beth Tumbleson at ACRL 2013)
- Invited Guests: Embedded Librarians in the Learning Management System (SOCHE Talk 2012)
- A Foot in the Door: Marketing LMS Embedded Librarianship to Faculty (Presentation with Beth Tumbleson at ALAO 2012)
- Inside Job: Embedded Librarianship in the LMS (Presentation with Beth Tumbleson at ALAO IIG Workshop 2012)
- Comfort Food for All: The Scalability of LMS Embedded Librarianship (Presentation with Beth Tumbleson at LOEX 2012)
- Research to Go: Taking an Information Literacy Course Online (Presentation with Jessie Long and Beth Tumbleson at DLS 2012)
- Transition Mission: Academic & School Librarian Collaboration for Student Success (Presentation with Beth Tumbleson and Cheri Pandora at ALAO 2011)
- This Old Library: Revitalizing Your Library Space Through Moving, Mixing, Mashing, and (a Little) Money (Presentation with Beth Tumbleson and Jessica Long at ALAO 2011)
- A Declaration of Embeddedness: Instructional Synergies and Sustaining Practices in LMS Embedded Librarianship (Presentation with Beth Tumbleson at ACRL 2011; full paper)
- Audiovisual Conundrums: Legality vs. Equality With Media Resources (Presentation at INOV8: Revitalizing Distance Learning Conference, ALAO DLIG, 2011)
- When Life Hands You Lemons: Overcoming Obstacles to Expand Services in an Embedded Librarian Program (Presentation with Beth Tumbleson at 14th Off-Campus Library Services Conference in 2010)
- Are You Ready to Roll?: Expected Technology Competencies and the Library Worker (Presentation at Michigan Library Association 2009 Annual Conference and as a Technology Spotlight at ALAO 2009)
- Faculty-Librarian Collaboration in New Spaces: The Blackboard Embedded Librarian (Presentation with Beth Tumbleson and Sarah Frye at Michigan Library Association 2009 Annual Conference)
- Embedded Librarians Meet Students in Space (Presentation with Beth Tumbleson and Sarah Frye at the Academic Library Association of Ohio 2009 Annual Conference)
- Use Your Powers for Good, and Not for Evil: Expected Technology Competencies and the Library Worker (Presentation at OLSSI 2009)
- The Perfect Number is Three: An Ad Hoc Alliance Takes on Technology Fluency Assessment (Presentation with Ellenmarie Wahlrab and Andrea Han at SEED 2009).
- Faculty-Librarian Collaboration: the Blackboard Embedded Librarian (Presentation with Beth Tumbleson, Sarah Frye, and Ellenmarie Wahlrab at AURCO 2009)
- Library 2.0 PDQ: Meeting the Challenges of the Rapid Growth of Distance Learning and Off-site Courses at a University Regional Campus (presentation with Beth Tumbleson at 2008 LITA National Forum).
- Textbooks on Reserve Programs at Regional Campus Libraries (Presentation with Krista McDonald at AURCO 2008)
- You Can't Do That!: Library-Initiated Textbooks on Reserve Programs (Presentation with Krista McDonald at ALAO 2007)
- Calling on Q: Library Applications of Mashups and Customized Search Engines (Speed update at OPAL '007).
- Defeating Dr. No: Library Initiated Textbooks on Reserve Programs (Presentation with Krista McDonald at OPAL '007). Here is the PowerPoint and the handout (PDF).
- Life Preserver or Anchor?: Implementing a Textbooks on Reserve Program in the Library (Poster session with Krista McDonald at ACRL 2007) Here is the handout from the session and a file of slides from the poster itself (both in PDF).
- Next Steps: Continuing Your Education and Pursuing Certification - OLSSI 2006
- Part-Time Author, Full-Time Librarian - Ohio Library Council Annual Conference 2005
- Extreme Makeover: Library Edition - OPAL Annual Conference 2005
- Educational Opportunities for Library Support Staff in Ohio - OLSSI 2003
- Effective Web Searching Strategies - OLSSI 2003
- How Emerging Trends and Technologies Will Affect the Library - ALAO-SSIG 2003
- Ohio Library Support Staff Institute - ALAO 2002
- Maceli, M., & Burke, J. J. (2016). Technology Skills in the Workplace: Information Professionals’ Current Use and Future Aspirations. Information Technology and Libraries, 35(4), 35-62.
- Kvenild, Cassandra, Beth E. Tumbleson, John J. Burke, and Kaijsa Calkins. "Embedded Librarianship: Questions and answers from librarians in the trenches." Library Hi Tech News (2016).
- Assistive-Adaptive Technologies: An Excerpt from Library Technology Companion, 4th edition (article for American Libraries, November/December 2013)
- Tumbleson, Beth E. and Burke, John J., "Comfort Food for All: The Scalability of LMS-Embedded Librarianship" (2014). LOEX Conference Proceedings 2012. 2.
- The Case for Textbooks (article for American Libraries, March 2010, with Krista McDonald)
A word I invented long ago with Bart Hollingsworth
v. 1. To act in a manner that the general populace would characterize
as "being a librarian" (i.e. cataloging socks, feeling compelled to
answer any and all questions raised in conversation). 2. To excel in
the work of a librarian for a momentary or prolonged time period ("Rita
was really librarianating today!" or "Simply put, Ms. Nelson
librarianates more than anyone else in the department.")
n. The massed collection of librarians in a locality or within a
political boundary ("This letter is addressed to the librarianate of
Sioux Falls, Idaho" or within the populace at large ("Who is better equipped to respond to the crisis of fake news sources than the librarianate?")
Use it today!