50th Anniversary of Miami University Middletown Groundbreaking

Since February 1959, Miami had offered classes in Middletown, creating an Academic Center that used high school classrooms in the late afternoons, evenings, and on weekends. By 1963 there were over 700 enrolled in 57 classes, with plans for offering 75 classes in 1964.
The growing number of students in the Middletown City Schools put classroom space at a premium.For two years a local committee had worked in the community and with Miami to help secure the necessary funding for the new campus. Armco donated 135 acres to Miami, with additional land and the Holiday House donated by the Armco Girl’s Foundation, to set the site for the new campus. McGraw Construction of Middletown donated the engineering feasibility study, with additional support from Middletown’s Barnitz Fund for the preliminary drawings of the new campus.
Wednesday, January 28, 1965, people gathered at Holiday House on the campus site to break ground for the new campus. Logan T. Johnston, who was chairing the local efforts working with the Chamber of Commerce, spoke of “The Middletown Dream.” Acting Miami President Dr. Raymond Wilson shared Miami’s thanks, and then, on behalf of Miami’s Trustees, announced that the first classroom building on the campus would be named for Johnston.

Map is created by Ziying Jiang, Aaron Smigielski, Garry Green, Brandon Bruns and Farnaz Pakdel.

Show help

Instruction

  • Zoom in and out with scrollbar on the left
  • Toggle basemaps with 'Map' and 'Satellite' buttons
  • Search for features with the 'Search the map...' search bar
  • Click checkboxes above to display groups of features
  • Click on any feature to display additional information

Displayed features