Urayama Laboratory Home Page
Biophysics and Biotechnology at High Pressures
Metabolic Sensing, Microscopy Imaging,
Last Updated: December 15, 2016.
We are a predominately-undergraduate,
research-active physics department.
My passion to actively involve undergraduate and master's
students in biophysical and biotechnological research.
Student research involvement fosters critical
thinking, confidence, and a deeper appreciation of science
regardless of career objectives.
Interested in joining the lab? There are
lots of projects and opportunities.
for more information.
~ CURRENT AND PAST
~ LAB NEWS ~
- 2016-10-15: Congratulations to Dylan Palo, who has been accepted to the 2017 Optics and Photonics Winter School and Workshop at the University of Arizona.
- 2016-10-10: Congratulations to Symeon Stefan. He was accepted to his top-choice dental program, and plans a career in endodontics or oral surgery.
- 2016-09-01: Dylan Palo is featured on a College of Arts and Science Student Spotlight.
- 2016-07-01: Millicent Gikunda and Laxmi Risal have successfully defended their master's thesis. Madhu Gaire will defend in a few weeks. All are off to doctoral programs in physics. Best wishes!
- 2016-05-14: Congratulations to the Class of 2016! And thank you for the Class's departmental teaching award. Sorry for all the tough exams, but you studied hard and did well. Best wishes and I look forward to hearing of your experiences.
- 2016-05-12: Symeon Stefan has been awarded an Undergraduate Research Award!
- 2016-05-04: Diana Kinn, James O'Connor, Dylan Palo, and Symeon Stefan have been awarded departmental Commendation in Undergraduate Research awards!
- 2016-04-26: Congratulations to Dylan Palo (physics) and Symeon Stefan (biology) for being named 2017 College of Arts and Science Dean's Scholars!
- 2016-03-24: Congratulations to Millicent Gikunda and Madhu Gaire! They've been accepted to doctoral programs.
- 2016-03-02: Just returned from the 60th Annual Meeting of the Biophysical Society. Dylan Palo did great work presenting his poster. I served on a panel called "Research Programs at PUIs: Founding, Establishing, and Maintaining a Research Laboratory."
- 2016-02-15: Congratulations to Diana Kinn, Laxmi Risal, and James O'Connor! They've been accepted to medical school or doctoral programs.
- 2015-12-09: Dylan Palo has been awarded an Undergraduate Research Award!
- 2015-10-30: Millicent Gikunda, Laxmi Risal, and Madhu Gaire presented their
work at Miami's 2015 Graduate Research Forum.
- 2015-10-17: Millicent Gikunda and Laxmi Risal presented posters at the Fall 2015 OSAPS
meeting at Cleveland State University. Both have been awarded student travel grants by OSAPS
to attend the meeting.
- 2015-05-16: Congratulations to graduating
senior Arthur Oliva, who is now off to medical
- 2015-04-28: Our paper has been accepted for
publication at Analytical Chemistry.
Congrats to graduate authors Jeff Maltas and Zac Long, and undergraduate authors Lana Amer,
Dylan Palo, Arthur Oliva, and Jeff
- 2015-04-15: Arthur Oliva, Lana Amer,
and Dylan Palo presented their posters at the 21st Annual Undergraduate Research Forum (Art is
pictured in the link!). Symeon Stefan was a
- 2015-03-20: Dylan Palo and Symeon
Stefan have been accepted into Undergraduate
Summer Scholars program. Lana Amer and James O'Connor have been accepted into summer research
programs as well. Congratulations!
- 2015-02-10: We presented a platform talk 59th Annual Biophysical Society Meeting. Abstract
co-authors were Jeff Maltas, Zac Long, Arthur Oliva, Jeff Folz, Lana Amer, and Dylan Palo.
OLDER LAB NEWS
from International Innovation, describing our
~ UNIVERSITY NEWS