Urayama Laboratory Home Page
and Biotechnology at High Pressures
Metabolic Sensing, Microscopy Imaging,
Last Updated: May 24, 2021.
We are a predominately-undergraduate,
research-active physics department.
My passion to actively involve undergraduate and master's
students in biophysical and biotechnological research.
Student research involvement fosters critical thinking,
confidence, and a deeper appreciation of science
regardless of career objectives.
Interested in joining the lab? Click here
for more information.
~ LAB NEWS ~
- 2021-05-24: Our paper
now appears in RSC Advances.
- 2021-05-05: Congratulations to the following
department award winners:
- Bibek Dhakal for being awarded both the Outstanding
Graduate Student Researcher award and the AAPT
Outstanding Graduate Student Teacher award!
- Tommy Finn, Taylor Phillips, and Nick
Majer for being awarded Commendation
in Undergraduate Research awards!
- 2021-04-21: Congratulations to Bibek Dhakal,
who accepted an offer of admissions to the doctoral
program in physics at Vanderbilt University. He had
multiple competitive offers. Great work!
- 2021-04-21: Nick Majer, Tommy Finn, and
Taylor Phillips presented at the 27th Annual
Undergraduate Research Forum held virtually this
- 2021-04-05: Tommy Finn and Nick Majer
Summer Scholars awards.
- 2021-03-06: Taylor Phillips, Tommy Finn,
and Bibek Dhakal are co-authors on a talk
presented at the 2021 SPIE Photonics West conference.
Prof. Vishwanath (Miami U.) is a collaborator on this
- 2021-02-22: Bibek Dhakal, Martin Heidelman,
Andy Rodriguez, Max Kreider are
co-authors on a poster presented at the 65th Annual
Meeting of the Biophysical Society. Prof. Abe
(Aoyama Gakuin University) is a collaborator on this
- 2020-11-23: Congratulations to Bibek Dhakal
for successfully defending his master's prospectus.
- 2020-11-06: Bibek Dhakal presented his
thesis work at Miami University's Graduate Research
- 2020-05-21: Max Kreider and Andy Rodriguez
successfully defended their department honors thesis.
- 2020-05-13: It's the department's annual awards
time! Because we could not meet in person this year, a
daily reveal countdown was posted on the department
- Max Kreider is the department's Outstanding
Senior(department's highest award)!
- Andy Rodriguez has received the department's
Outstanding Undergraduate Research award.
- Tommy Finn and Taylor Phillips have
also received Commendation in Undergraduate
- 2020-05-12: Taylor Phillips and Tommy Finn
have been awarded an Undergraduate Research Award
- 2020-04-29: Max Kreider, Andy Rodriguez,
Taylor Phillips, Tommy Finn, Karthik
Sastry, and Nick Majer all presented at
the 26th Annual
Undergraduate Research Forum (front page
image), which was 100% online this year. An amazing
organizing feat by Office
of Research for Undergraduates.
- 2020-04-20: Congratulations on accepting
doctoral program offers - Max Kreider (Case
Western Reserve University, applied math) and Andy
Rodriguez (Yale University, biophysics)! Both had
multiple offers from highly competitive programs. Great
work and best wishes!
- 2020-04-01: Karthik Sastry received an Undergraduate
Summer Scholars award. (Unfortunately, the
program is cancelled due to the pandemic.)
- 2020-02-01: Max Kreider and Andy Rodriguez
attended the SPIE Photonics West conference in
San Francisco. I have a talk on their work titled
"Spectral phasor analysis of autofluorescence responses
from cells embedded in turbid media containing
OLDER LAB NEWS
from International Innovation, describing our
~ UNIVERSITY NEWS
RELEASES AND NEWS ITEMS ~
~ PAST FUNDING ~