Older Laboratory News
Last Updated: January 9, 2018
- 2016-10-15: Congratulations to Dylan Palo, who has been accepted to the 2017 Optics and Photonics Winter School and Workshop at the University of Arizona.
- 2016-10-10: Congratulations to Symeon Stefan. He was accepted to his top-choice dental program, and plans a career in endodontics or oral surgery.
- 2016-09-01: Dylan Palo is featured on a College of Arts and Science Student Spotlight.
- 2016-07-01: Millicent Gikunda and Laxmi Risal have successfully defended their master's thesis. Madhu Gaire will defend in a few weeks. All are off to doctoral programs in physics. Best wishes!
- 2016-05-14: Congratulations to the Class of 2016! And thank you
for the Class's departmental teaching award. Sorry for all the tough
exams, but you studied hard and did well. Best wishes and I look forward
to hearing of your experiences.
- 2016-05-12: Symeon Stefan has been awarded an Undergraduate Research Award!
- 2016-05-04: Diana Kinn, James O'Connor, Dylan Palo, and Symeon Stefan have been awarded departmental Commendation in Undergraduate Research awards!
- 2016-04-26: Congratulations to Dylan Palo (physics) and Symeon Stefan (biology) for being named 2017 College of Arts and Science Dean's Scholars!
- 2016-03-24: Congratulations to Millicent Gikunda and Madhu Gaire! They've been accepted to doctoral programs.
- 2016-03-02: Just returned from the 60th Annual Meeting of the Biophysical Society. Dylan Palo
did great work presenting his poster. I served on a panel called
"Research Programs at PUIs: Founding, Establishing, and Maintaining a
- 2016-02-15: Congratulations to Diana Kinn, Laxmi Risal, and James O'Connor! They've been accepted to medical school or doctoral programs.
- 2015-12-09: Dylan Palo has been awarded an Undergraduate Research Award!
- 2015-10-30: Millicent Gikunda, Laxmi Risal, and Madhu Gaire presented their
work at Miami's 2015 Graduate Research Forum.
- 2015-10-17: Millicent Gikunda and Laxmi Risal presented posters at the Fall 2015 OSAPS
meeting at Cleveland State University. Both have been awarded student travel grants by OSAPS
to attend the meeting.
- 2015-05-16: Congratulations to graduating
senior Arthur Oliva, who is now off to medical
- 2015-04-28: Our paper has been accepted for
publication at Analytical Chemistry.
Congrats to graduate authors Jeff Maltas and Zac Long, and undergraduate authors Lana Amer,
Dylan Palo, Arthur Oliva, and Jeff
- 2015-04-15: Arthur Oliva, Lana Amer,
and Dylan Palo presented their posters at the 21st Annual Undergraduate Research Forum (Art is
pictured in the link!). Symeon Stefan was a
- 2015-03-20: Dylan Palo and Symeon
Stefan have been accepted into Undergraduate
Summer Scholars program. Lana Amer and James O'Connor have been accepted into summer research
programs as well. Congratulations!
- 2015-02-10: We presented a platform talk 59th Annual Biophysical Society Meeting. Abstract
co-authors were Jeff Maltas, Zac Long, Arthur Oliva, Jeff Folz, Lana Amer, and Dylan Palo.
- 2014-12-10: Arthur Oliva is featured on an "I am Miami"
- 2014-11-17: Congratulations to Jeff
Maltas, Zac Long, Art Oliva, Jeff Folz, Lana Amer, and Dylan Palo.
Their Biophysical Society abstract will be
presented in a platform session at the 58th Annual
- 2014-10-27: Our paper "A micro-perfusion
system for use during real-time physiological studies
under high pressure" appears in the Review
of Scientific Instruments.
Congratulations to graduate students Jeff Maltas,
Zac Long, Alison Huff, and Ryan
Maloney, and undergraduate Jordan Ryan. doi: 10.1063/1.4899121
- 2014-09-12: Undergraduate Summer Scholars
student Arthur Oliva is featured on a Miami
University Reports special issue. Click and go to page 2 (link opens new page).
- 2014-08-01: The Physics Department is now located in Kreger Hall.
See PICTURES of the
new lab in 121 Kreger Hall.
- 2014-07-11: Congratulations to Jeff Maltas,
who successfully defended his master's thesis today. He
is off to the University of Michigan's biophysics
program for his PhD.
- 2014-05-07: Congratulations to students
recognized at the Department's annual awards seminar.
- Commendation in Undergraduate Research - Jeff Folz and Alex Brest.
- Outstanding Graduate Student Research Award -
- 2014-14-16: Lana Amer, Jeff Folz,
and Ariel Mendoza (pictured above) present at
the 2014 Undergraduate Research Forum.
Congratulations to students who have been accepted to
summer internship or research programs. Morgan McGrath is
accepted to the Chester Summer Scholars Program at
MetroHealth in Cleveland, Art Oliva will be a Miami University
Undergraduate Summer Scholar, and Alex Brest will be
at Case Western Reserve University.
has been accepted for publication at the Journal
of Biophotonics. Congratulations to graduate
student co-authors Zac
Cheng, and Erik Alquist, and undergraduate co-authors Mike Zatt and Alex Brest.
- 2014-02-16: Jeff Maltas
presented his poster at the 58th Annual Biophysical Society Meeting,
in San Francisco. Lab graduates Zac Long and Alison Huff were
- 2014-02-05: Congratulations to Jeff Folz
and Jeff Maltas
who are receiving offers from physics and/or biophysics
Wohoo! This is not related to her research in the lab,
but congratulations to Morgan McGrath, who won a bronze medal as part of the
women's ice hockey team at the 2013 World University
Games, in Trentino, Italy.
- 2013-10-04: Jeff Folz and Jeff Maltas
presented posters at the Fall OSAPS meeting at the
University of Cincinnati.
Graduating master's students have received offers from
PhD programs. Congratulations Zac Long (entering a
doctoral program in physics) and Zach Callahan
(entering a doctoral program in medical physics).
- 2013-05-03: Jeff Folz
(biological physics major) have been selected as
2014 Dean's Scholars
in the College of Arts and Science for work in our lab.
- 2013-03-22: Mike Zatt
spent his spring break in Columbus and Washington
as part of a University's posters-on-the-hill session,
highlighting the role of research participation in
- 2013-03-01: Jeff Folz and Alex Brest have been
selected as 2013Undergraduate Summer Scholars.
- 2013-03-01: Zach Callahan
successfully defended his master's prospectus.
- 2013-02-10: Mike Zatt has
received multiple medical school offers! Wohoo!
- 2012-11-28: The lab is featured in the magazine International Innovations.
(link to issue)(link to
- 2012-09-19: Zac Long
has successfully presented his master's
prospectus. Good work.
- 2012-08-01: Alison
Huff has successfully defended her master's
thesis. Good work and best wishes. She is
continuing on to doctoral work in physics.
Best wishes to graduating seniors David Knowles and Alex Gambill. David
is off to medical school, and Alex is planning a career
as a physician assistant.
- 2012-05-03: Mike Zatt
(microbiology major) and Kyle Kissick (biological physics major)
have been selected as 2013 Dean's Scholars in the College of Arts and
Science for work in our lab. Congratulations!
- 2012-04-15: Senior Eric Todd
presents at the Undergraduate Research Forum.
Junior Mike Zatt
presented his research poster at the 56th Annual Meeting of the
Biophysical Society in San Diego, CA.
Department alumna and lab graduate Katie Binzel will be
giving the department seminar "How Does the Acquisition
Time Impact PET Quantification?" on February 22, based
on her medical physics work at OSU.
- 2012-01-20: Mike Zatt
is selected into the 2012 Undergraduate Summer Scholars
- 2011-11-09: Alison
Huff has successfully presented her master's
- 2011-09-26: Jordan
Ryan's paper has been accepted for publication
in Analytical Methods. Congrats, Jordan!
- 2011-05-20: Congratulations to graduating seniors - Jordan Ryan and Erik
Rotterman. Both are off to medical
- 2011-04-29: Erik
Rotterman successfully defended his departmental honors thesis. Erik is also receiving University
Honors with Distinction.
- 2011-04-27: Congratulations
to lab members recognized at the Department's annual awards
- Jordan Ryan
was named the Department's Outstanding Researcher.
- Erik Rotterman,
Eric Todd, and
in Undergraduate Research.
- 2011-04-13: Erik
Ryan, and Mike
Zatt present their work at the 2011 Undergraduate Research
- 2011-04-12: Jun Cheng
is inducted into Sigma Pi Sigma,
the physics honors society. Jordan Ryan was inducted in 2010.
- 2011-02-11: David
Knowles is selected into the 2011 Undergraduate Summer
- 2011-01-19: Jordan
Ryan will be presenting at the national
American Physical Society March Meeting in Dallas, TX.
- 2011-01-19: Jun Cheng
has successfully presented his master's prospectus.
- 2010-11-15: Jordan
Ryan has been accepted to the Indiana University School
of Medicine. Congratulations!
- 2010-09-23: National Science Foundation
grant awared for biological physics research
involving students. (news
- 2010-07-27: Congratulations to Erik Alquist for
successfully defending his thesis!
- 2010-05-07: Best wishes to Class of 2010 graduates. Lauren Regueyra and
will both be attending medical school in the fall!
- 2010-05-05: Congratulations to Lauren Regueyra for
successfully defending her departmental honors thesis.
- 2010-04-28: Congratulations to lab members recognized
at the Department's annual awards seminar.
- Lauren Regueyra
for Sigma Pi Sigma
- Jordan Ryan,
and Erik Zachwieja
who received Commendations
in Undergraduate Research.
- Erik Alquist
who received the AAPT
Outstanding Teaching Award.
- 2010-04-20: Jordan
Ryan has been selected as a 2011 CAS Dean's Scholar,
providing funds for him to present results of his
research at a professional conference.
- 2010-03-05: Jordan
Ryan is quoted in a recent newspaper article about the
- 2010-03-05: Congratulations to Eric Frey and Sara Savage.
Their paper now appears in the Annals
of the New York Academy of Sciences (doi:10.1111/j.1749-6632.2009.05184.x)
- 2010-02-20: Lauren
Regueyra and I are off to the 2010
Biophysical Society Annual Meeting. Erik Alquist, Junaid Farooqi, and Josh Jasensky are
also authors on the poster she is presenting.
- 2010-02-10: Erik
Rotterman is selected into the 2010 Undergraduate Summer
- 2010-01-25: Michael
Zatt and Kartik
Warikoo are spring 2010 FYRE (First Year Research
- 2010-01-20: Erik
Zachwieja presents a talk on his fall 2009
capstone project at the Physics Deparment seminar .
- 2009-11-20: Lauren
Regueyra has received a Biophysical Society
Minority Biophysicist Travel Grant to attend the 2010
Annual Meeting. Selection of awardees is based on
scientific merit. (screen
capture of University news release)
- 2009-10-09: Jordan
Ryan and Erik
Alquist each presented a poster at the Fall
2009 OSAPS meeting. Their work seemed well received;
someone was always talking with them when I passed by!
- 2009-09-30: Jorday
Ryan has been awarded an OSAPS Travel Grant
- 2009-09-30: Jordan
Ryan and Lauren
Regueyra presented results of their research
projects at the Department's weekly seminar.
- 2009-09-22: Eric
Frey and Sara
Savage's paper has been accepted for
publication in the Annals
of the New York Academy of Sciences: High-Pressure
Bioscience and Biotechnology - Fifth International
- 2009-07-23: Junaid
Farooqi has successfully defended his
thesis. He is soon off to UT-San Antonio for his
doctorate in physics. Best wishes!
- 2009-05-09: Best wishes to Class of 2009 graduates Josh Jasensky, Sara Savage, and Brian Casto. Enjoy
your summers and good luck in graduate school!
- 2009-05-01: Congratulations to Josh Jasensky for
successfully defending his departmental honors thesis.
- 2009-04-29: Congratulations to people earning awards
at the Department's annual awards seminar: Josh Jasensky for
the Department's Outstanding Researcher award; to Sara Savage for the
in Undergraduate Research award; to Erik Zachwieja for a
and to Lauren Regueyra
for being inducted into Sigma Pi Sigma,
the national physics honors society. Also
congratulations graduating seniors and graduate
students. Josh, Sara, Brian, and Junaid have been
accepted to graduate programs in biophysics, biology,
medical physics, and physics respectively.
- 2009-04-20: Lauren
Regueyra has been selected as a 2010 CAS Dean's Scholar,
providing funds for Lauren to present results of her
research at a professional conference.
- 2009-04-16: Josh
Jasensky, Sara Savage, and Junaid Farooqi have been inducted into Sigma Xi. Congratulations!
- 2009-02-06: Congratulations to Jordan Ryan and Lauren Regueyra who
have been selected 2009 Undergraduate Summer Scholars.
- 2009-01-05: Research performed in the laboratory is
featured in a University news release.
- 2008-12-17: Congratulations to Brian Casto and Josh Jasensky, who
have successfully defended their senior capstone
- 2008-12-12: Sara Savage has been awarded a Sigma Xi Grants-in-Aid of Research grant, a nationally competitive
program for graduate and undergraduate students with a
20% funding rate!
- 2008-11-28: Congratulations to Hector DePedro. His
paper now appears in Analytical Biochemistry.
- 2008-10-10: Senior physics major Josh Jasensky
presented his poster "Intermolecular interactions of
reduced nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NADH) in
solution" at the Fall 2008 meeting of the Ohio-Region
Section of the American Physical Society. Junaid Farooqi was a
- 2008-10-08: Congratulations to Hector DePedro. His
paper has been accepted for publication in Analytical Biochemistry.
- 2008-09-23: Scott
DePedro, and Eric
Frey's paper now appears in Analytical Chemistry.
The paper can be found at doi:10.1021/ac801252q.
- 2008-08-22: Eric
Frey and Sara
Savageís abstract has been accepted for a talk
at the Fifth International High
Pressure Bioscience and Biotechnology Conference.
- 2008-08-18: Work by Thomas
Haver and Erica
Raber is featured in the "Technology Solutions"
section of the August 2008 Biophotonics International. (publisher's link)(printer-friendly version)
- 2008-08-14: Congratulations to Scott Keller, Jon Dudley, Katie Binzel, Josh Jasensky, Hector De Pedro, and
Eric Frey. Their paper has been accepted for publication in Analytical Chemistry,
one of the top journals in the analytical chemistry
- 2008-08-13: Congratulations to Daniel Horne, who
has successfully defended his senior capstone project.
- 2008-07-28: Hector
Michael DePedro has successfully defended his
thesis. He is now off to UT Dallas for his
doctorate. Best wishes!
- 2008-07-01: A research proposal to Research Corporation
is being funded.
- 2008-05-31: Congratulations to Thomas Haver and Erica Raber. Their
paper is now in print in the Journal of Microscopy.
- 2008-05-05: Eric
Frey and Michael Eldridge's paper has been chosen for inclusion
in the April 15, 2008, edition of the Virtual Journal of
Biological Physics Research.
- 2008-04-30: The lab made a great showing at this
year's Physics Department awards seminar.
- Eric Frey
was awarded the Outstanding Senior and the Outstanding Undergraduate Research awards.
- Hector Michael
DePedro was awarded the Outstanding Graduate Research award.
- Josh Jasensky,
and Michael Maffett
all received department Commendation in Undergraduate Research
- 2008-04-25: Michael Maffett and Eric Frey have successfully defended their
University and Department honors theses.
- 2008-04-17: Eric Frey and Hector Michael de Pedro have been inducted into Sigma Xi.
Keep up the good research!
- 2008-04-11: Congratulations to Eric Frey and Michael Eldridge.
Their paper appears in print in the Review of Scientific
- 2008-03-03: I hosted Gregory Benford, this year's George C. Benson Memorial Lecturer. (screen capture of
University press release) Gregory Benford,
an eminent astrophysicist and science fiction writer,
was my undergraduate research mentor.
- 2008-03-03: Michael
Maffett will be attending a medical-physics
masters program after graduation. Scott Keller will be
attending a graduate program in health
administration. Both programs were top choices for
Michael and Scott. Congratulations!
- 2008-02-13: Josh
Jasensky have been selected to be a 2008 Undergraduate Summer
- 2008-02-04: Eric
Frey presented his poster "Fluorescence-based
calcium-ion sensing at high hydrostatic pressures" at
the 2008 Biophysical Society meeting.
BACK TO LAB HOME PAGE
- 2007-12-13: Eric Frey has been awarded a Sigma Xi Grants-in-Aid of Research grant, a nationally competitive
program with a 20% funding rate!
- 2007-12-05: Congratulations to Thomas Haver
and Erica Raber, two recent masters graduates.
Their paper has been accepted for publication in the
Journal of Microscopy.
- 2007-11-15: Eric Frey's abstract has been
accepted to the 2008 Biophysical Society annual
- 2007-11-08: Congratulations to Eric Frey, who
has been awarded a Student Travel Award to the
2008 Biophysical Society annual meeting in Long
Beach, CA. This is a national award, in competition with
undergraduate and graduate students. Selection of
awardees is based on scientific merit, with priority
given to those presenting papers at the meeting. (screen capture of
University press release)
- 2007-10-19: Congratulations to Thomas Haver
(poster), Eric Frey (talk), and Scott Keller
and Josh Jasensky (poster, co-presenters), who
were presenting authors at the Fall 2007 meeting of
the Ohio-Region Section of the APS. Erica
Raber and Hector Michael de Pedro were
- 2007-08-16: Congratulations to Thomas Haver,
who successfully defended his masters thesis. He's off
to OSU's doctoral program in biophysics.
- 2007-05-29: Eric Frey has been awarded the Provost's Student Academic Achievement Award, and is one of
approximately 10 students to be honored at the fall
- 2007-05-21: Eric Frey has been awarded a
prestigious 2007-2008 Astronaut Scholarship. (screen capture of
University press release)
- 2007-04-25: Congratulations to lab members who won
awards at the Department's award ceremony. Thomas
Haver (AAPT Outstanding Teaching Award), Mike
Salerno (Outstanding Researcher Award), Katie
Binzel and Jon Dudley (Research
- 2007-04-18: Thomas Haver has been awarded a
Sigma Xi Grants-in-Aid of Research grant.
- 2007-04-12: Eric Frey has been selected as the
Scholar for physics.
- 2007-04-05: Katie Binzel, Jon Dudley,
and Thomas Haver have been inducted into Sigma Xi.
- 2007-04-02: Eric Frey has been awarded the
nationally prestigious Goldwater
Scholarship. (screen capture of University press release)
- 2007-03-15: Scott Keller and Eric Frey
have been selected to be 2007 Undergraduate Summer Scholars.
- 2007-03-15: Michael Salerno's first-authored
paper appears in print.
Other co-authors are Jacob Ajimo, Jon Dudley,
and Katie Binzel.
- 2007-03-01: Congratulations to graduating lab members.
Katie Binzel, Jon Dudley, and Thomas
Haver have been accepted to well-recognized
doctoral programs in biophysics or biomedical