Hi! I am Khodakhast Bibak, an Assistant Professor at the Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering at Miami University. Previously, I was a Postdoctoral Research Associate (September 2017 - August 2018) in the Coordinated Science Laboratory at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Before this, I was a Postdoctoral Research Fellow (May-August 2017) at the Department of Computer Science, University of Victoria, from where I also received my PhD (April 2017) under the supervision of Professor Bruce Kapron and Professor Venkatesh Srinivasan. Prior to that, I obtained a Master of Mathematics degree (April 2013) at the Department of Combinatorics & Optimization, University of Waterloo, where I was also a member of the Centre for Applied Cryptographic Research (CACR).
Cybersecurity, Applied Cryptography, Quantum Information Science (QIS), Artificial Intelligence, and the related areas.
1. (B. Zolfaghari, K. Bibak, T. Koshiba, H. Nemati, P. Mitra) Statistical Trend Analysis of Physically Unclonable Functions: An Approach via Text Mining, CRC Press, ISBN 9780367754556, 2021, 160 pages.
2. (K. Bibak) Restricted Congruences in Computing, CRC Press, ISBN 9780367496036, 2020, 157 pages.
3. (K. Bibak) Additive combinatorics with a view towards computer science and cryptography, Number Theory and Related Fields: In Memory of Alf van der Poorten (J. M. Borwein, I. E. Shparlinski and W. Zudilin, eds.), Springer Proceedings in Mathematics & Statistics, Vol. 43, Springer, New York, 2013, pp. 99-128; [arXiv], [chapter]. (The most downloaded Chapter of the Book.)
4. (K. Bibak, R. Ritchie) Quantum key distribution with PRF(Hash, Nonce) achieves everlasting security, Quantum Information Processing 20 (2021), 228; [journal].
5. (R. Ritchie, K. Bibak) DOTMIX-Pro: Faster and more efficient variants of DOTMIX for dynamic-multithreading platforms, The Journal of Supercomputing, to appear; [journal].
6. (K. Bibak, R. Ritchie, B. Zolfaghari) Everlasting security of quantum key distribution with 1K-DWCDM and quadratic hash, Quantum Information & Computation 21 (2021), 181-202; [journal].
7. (B. Zolfaghari, V. Singh, S. Reddy, B. Rai, K. Bibak, A. Dehghantanha) Lower bounds on bandwidth requirements of regenerating code parameter scaling in distributed storage systems, IEEE Communications Letters 25 (2021), 1477-1481; [journal].
8. (K. Bibak) Deletion correcting codes meet the Littlewood-Offord problem, Designs, Codes and Cryptography 88 (2020), 2387-2396; [journal].
9. (B. Zolfaghari, G. Srivastava, S. Roy, H. Nemati, F. Afghah, T. Koshiba, A. Razi, K. Bibak, P. Mitra, B. Rai) Content delivery networks: state of the art, trends and future roadmap, ACM Computing Surveys 53 (2020), 34:1-34:34; [journal].
10. (V. Singh, B. Zolfaghari, C. Kumar, B. Rai, K. Bibak, G. Srivastava, S. Roy, T. Koshiba) Generalized Mm,r-network: A case for fixed message dimensions, IEEE Communications Letters 24 (2020), 38-42; [journal].
11. (K. Bibak) Order-restricted linear congruences, Discrete Mathematics 343 (2020), 111690; [journal].
15. (K. Bibak, B. M. Kapron, V. Srinivasan, L. Toth) On an almost-universal hash function family with applications to authentication and secrecy codes, International Journal of Foundations of Computer Science 29 (2018), 357-375; [arXiv], [IACR], [journal].
17. (K. Bibak, B. Kapron, V. Srinivasan) Counting surface-kernel epimorphisms from a co-compact Fuchsian group to a cyclic group with motivations from string theory and QFT, Nuclear Physics B 910 (2016), 712-723; [arXiv], [journal].
21. (P. Salehi Nowbandegani, H. Esfandiari, M. H. Shirdareh Haghighi, K. Bibak) On the Erdős-Gyarfas conjecture in claw-free graphs, Discussiones Mathematicae Graph Theory 34 (2014), 635-640; [arXiv], [journal].
22. (K. Bibak) The number of spanning trees in an (r,s)-semiregular graph and its line graph, International Journal of Quantum Chemistry 113 (2013), 1209-1212; [journal].
24. (K. Bibak) On the determinant of bipartite graphs, Discrete Mathematics 313 (2013), 2446-2450; [journal].
29. (M. H. Shirdareh Haghighi, K. Bibak) Recursive relations for the number of spanning trees, Applied Mathematical Sciences 3 (2009), 2263-2269.
30. (R. Ritchie, K. Bibak) SQUAREMIX: A faster pseudorandom number generator for dynamic-multithreading platforms, In Proceedings of the 2020 Data Compression Conference (DCC 2020), Snowbird, Utah, USA, March 24-27, 2020; [conference].
31. (K. Bibak, O. Milenkovic) Weight enumerators of some classes of deletion correcting codes, In Proceedings of the 2018 IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT 2018), Vail, Colorado, USA, Jun. 17-22, 2018, pp. 431-435; [conference].
32. (K. Bibak, B. Kapron, V. Srinivasan, L. Toth) On a variant of multilinear modular hashing with applications to authentication and secrecy codes, In Proceedings of the International Symposium on Information Theory and Its Applications (ISITA 2016), Monterey, California, USA, Oct. 30 -- Nov. 2, 2016, pp. 320-324; [conference].
33. (M. H. Shirdareh Haghighi, K. Bibak) Distribution of cycle lengths in graphs with minimum degree at least three, In Proceedings of the 39th Annual Iranian Mathematics Conference, Shahid Bahonar University of Kerman, Kerman, Iran, Aug. 24-27, 2008.
36. (K. Bibak) Number theoretic methods and their significance in computer science, information theory, combinatorics, and geometry, PhD thesis, Department of Computer Science, University of Victoria, 2017.
37. (K. Bibak) Contributions at the interface between algebra and graph theory, Master's thesis, Department of Combinatorics and Optimization, University of Waterloo, 2013.
38. (K. Bibak, C. Liu, H. Vosoughpour, G. Yao, Z. AlMeraj, A. Pytel, W. Cowan, S. Mann) Implicit surfaces seminar, Spring 2012, Technical Report CS-2013-08, David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science, University of Waterloo, 2013 (40 pages).
- (Invited) Department of Mathematics and Informatics, Chiba University, Japan, August 18-24, 2019.
- (Invited) Mathematical Coding and Information Theory --- A Special Session of the American Mathematical Society Sectional Meeting, University of Hawaii, Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, March 22-24, 2019.
- International Symposium on Information Theory and Its Applications (ISITA 2016), Monterey, California, USA, Oct. 30 - Nov. 2, 2016.
- Conference on Geometry, Algebra, Number Theory, and their Information Technology Applications, The Fields Institute, Toronto, June 13-16, 2016.
- 2015 Midwest Number Theory Conference, University of Illinois at Chicago, October 16-18, 2015.
Honors, Fellowships/Awards, Travel Grants
- 1st rank (two years) in the Province, and 40th and 20th ranks in the Country, in Iranian Mathematics Olympiad
- Invited (with Travel Grant) to attend the Early Career Research Workshop in Coding Theory, Cryptography, and Number Theory, Clemson University, June 24-28, 2019
- Invited (with Travel Grant) to attend the 4th Heidelberg Laureate Forum, Heidelberg University, September 18--23, 2016
- UVic Fellowship, University of Victoria (Fall 2014 - Summer 2016)
- UVic Graduate Award, University of Victoria (Summer 2015, Spring 2016, Summer 2016, Spring 2017)
- RA Support, University of Victoria (Fall 2014 - Spring 2017)
- Senate Graduate Scholarship Tutte C&O Award, University of Waterloo (Fall 2012)
- Graduate Research Studentship, University of Waterloo (Fall 2011 - Winter 2013)
- Mathematics Graduate Experience Award, University of Waterloo (Fall 2011 - Winter 2013)
- International Master's Student Award, University of Waterloo (Fall 2011 - Winter 2013)
- Mathematics Faculty Graduate Award, University of Waterloo (Fall 2011 and Fall 2012)
- Travel Grant from the International Association for Cryptologic Research (IACR) for the 36th International Cryptology Conference (CRYPTO 2016), University of California, Santa Barbara, August 14-18, 2016
- Travel Grant from the Fields Institute for the Conference on Geometry, Algebra, Number Theory, and their Information Technology Applications, The Fields Institute, Toronto, June 13-16, 2016
- Travel Grant from ACM/NSF for the 8th ACM Conference on Security and Privacy in Wireless and Mobile Networks (ACM WiSec 2015), New York Institute of Technology, June 24-26, 2015 (declined)
- Travel Grant from the Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences (PIMS) for the Algorithmic Theory of Networks Workshop, Simon Fraser University, March 27-29, 2015
- Travel Grant from the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute (MSRI) for the Workshop Hot Topics: Kadison-Singer, Interlacing Polynomials, and Beyond, MSRI, Berkeley, March 9-13, 2015
- Travel Grant from the Fields Institute for the Workshop on Number Theory with a view towards Transcendence and Diophantine Approximation, University of Ottawa, June 8-10, 2013
- Travel Grant from the Centre de Recherches Mathematiques (CRM) for the SMS 2012 Summer School: Probabilistic Combinatorics, CRM, Universite de Montreal, June 25 - July 6, 2012
- Fundamentals of University Teaching, Spring 2013
Centre for Teaching Excellence (CTE), University of Waterloo
- Miami University:
- Spring 2021: CSE 374 (Algorithms I), CSE 486/586 (Introduction to Artificial Intelligence)
- Fall 2020: CSE 667 (Cryptography), CSE 486/586 (Introduction to Artificial Intelligence)
- Spring 2020: CSE 470K/570K (Applied Cryptography), CSE 486/586 (Introduction to Artificial Intelligence)
- Fall 2019: CSE 486/586 (Introduction to Artificial Intelligence)
- Spring 2019: CSE 667 (Cryptography), CSE 486/586 (Introduction to Artificial Intelligence)
- Fall 2018: CSE 486/586 (Introduction to Artificial Intelligence)
- University of Victoria: TA for CSC 167, CSC 349A , CSC 320
- University of Waterloo: TA for Math 104, Math 106, Math 118, Math 119, Math 135, Math 137, CO 227, CO 250, PMath 352
- Robert Ritchie (Master's, 2021), CSE, Miami University
Service and Professional Activities
- Member of the Graduate Program Committee (Fall 2019 -- ), CSE, Miami University
- Program Committee Member of Multidisciplinary Track of ACM/IEEE International Conference on Social Network Analysis and Mining 2021 (MDT-ASONAM2021)
- Session Chair of 55th Annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing (Allerton 2017), Allerton Retreat Center, Monticello, IL, USA, October 3-6, 2017
- Organizing Committee Member of 14th International Symposium on Algorithms and Data Structures (WADS 2015), University of Victoria, August 5-7, 2015
- Scientific Committee Member (proposer and marker of problems) of Iranian Mathematics Competitions for University Students, 2008-2011. The invaluable book Iranian Mathematics Competitions, 1973-2007 (by Bamdad R. Yahaghi), presents a collection of problems appeared in these competitions, together with their solutions.
- Served as a peer reviewer for
- IEEE Transactions on Communications
- 2020 IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT 2020)
- Designs, Codes and Cryptography
- Journal of Combinatorial Optimization
- IEEE Access
- 28th Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA 2017)
- Discrete Mathematics
- IEEE Transactions on Information Theory
- IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing
- Czechoslovak Mathematical Journal
- Neural Computing and Applications
- Linear and Multilinear Algebra
- Discussiones Mathematicae Graph Theory
- Australasian Journal of Combinatorics
- 8th International Symposium on Foundations & Practice of Security (FPS 2015)
- Journal of Number Theory
- IEEE Signal Processing Letters
Address: Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering, 510 E. High St., Oxford, OH 45056
Office: 205T Benton Hall
Email: bibakk at miamioh dot edu, khmath at gmail dot com